To successfully replace your iPhone 4G battery, you will need:
- A replacement battery, which you can purchase either from our online store or in person at our Vancouver shop.
- A Phillips #00 screwdriver (you may also need a 5-Point Pentalobe screwdriver, depending on the types of screws Apple has installed at the bottom of your iPhone). We sell both types at our shop.
- A plastic iPhone opening tool, which we also carry in stock.
Note: If purchasing your battery online, you can order the screwdrivers and plastic opening tool via email or by telephone at the same time. If purchasing in shop, you can pick them up with the battery.
Once you have assembled everything you need, follow these steps:
- Power off the phone.
- Remove the two screws next to the dock connector.
- Push the rear panel toward the top edge of the iPhone until it moves about 2mm. Then lift it off the iPhone.
- Remove the screw holding the battery connector to the logic board (some devices may have a second screw holding down the contact pad).
- Use the plastic opening tool to pry the battery connector up from the ends closest to the top and bottom edges of the iPhone. Do not pry against the contact clip, which you need to remove from the iPhone.
- Use the clear plastic pull tab to lift the old battery out of the iPhone. If Apple has used a lot of glue, you will need to use the plastic opening tool to gently get the battery out.
- Place the new battery into the phone. Before reconnecting the battery connector, make sure the pressure contact is positioned properly.
- Before putting the iPhone back together, make sure to clean all contact points with a de-greaser to avoid interference issues.
For complete instructions with pictures, click here.
Disclaimer: Remember do-it-yourself repairs are undertaken at your own risk. The steps outlined here are very brief and are for those already comfortable working on electronics. (It is possible to break something or even kill your iPhone if you don’t know what you’re doing.) If you’d rather have your battery professionally replaced, we do that, too!